Friday 6 March 2009

If you're feeling sinister ...

My second recipe for improving my mood whenever I'm down (right after going places where I've never been, which I have already mentioned a while back), is to do something for other people, completely selflessly.

That ranges from doing the dishes, to beta-reading seminar papers or helping with academic research and many many other things. Bascially any problem, that you have, and I don't, I will gladly take on to solve. It works excellently to take your mind off your own problem(s) and you get the bonus good karma and good conscience for having helped a person without personal gain (although, of course feeling better strictly speaking is personal gain, and that turns the whole reasoning into a paradox, but let's not go there. Let's accept this slight element of hypocrisy, just for the sake of it, because it really works.)

My whole life is still a long running cosmic joke. But hey, at least the joke is on me. :D




You can dye your hair
But there's the one thing you can't change
Can't run away from yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's necessary to look for entirely 'selfless' acts. It's a good thing that helping others makes us happy. Whoever says we're innately selfish, whoever says it's a burden to 'worry' about helping others, clearly hasn't tried it themselves. It benefits everyone involved. We are programmed to care for each other. Isn't that grand?

chamois said...

These days I'm rather inclined to believe we're designed to hurt each other.
Clearly a malfunction, but a universal one.