Friday 14 August 2009

Zoo Time!

Last week, we all went to the zoo, and I attempted the rather unmanagable feat of taking some acceptably fine pictures of animals. It takes a lot of patience and practice, so the outcome is rather meagre, but I can live with that.
Nervous little monkeys (or tamarins, who are brilliantly called Liszt-monkeys in German) are particularly difficult to capture. As are seals in full motion. Luckily these fellows seem to be trained to pose for tourists. Moreover, inhabitants of the Arctic circle - the polar bears are still quite young, and appropriately playful. I always wonder, though, if they don't suffer terribly in the summer heat.











The trip, anyways, reminded me of how much I love zoos. And Vienna is luckily blessed with an ancient and beautiful zoo, which has recently been, and is still in the process of being modernised, so as to make the animals more comfortable. There's fewer and fewer animals pacing up and down their cages, and this is really a relieving development, because it always breaks my heart to watch that. Next year, I think, I'll get a pass for the whole year, so I can go in every season and watch the young grow up and all that romantic shit. /oldladyhood

No comments: