Sunday 4 May 2008

Music from the Eighties.

"Felt, Felt, FELT!!!"

Dear Lord, they're really good. I can't imagine why I didn't think of giving them a listen earlier. The idea was there and all, but like so many ideas it was just never transformed into action.
One look at this album cover alone should be enough incentive for me to surrender my heart to them for the next 20 years.



It's a good think that my birthday is coming up and that I get to work more often now, because it's just unbearable how desperately I need to go record shopping. No matter how practical illegal downloading is, it's just not the real thing. I never feel like I really own a record unless I can hold some physical manifestation of the music in my hands, can leaf through the booklet, lying on my stomach on the floor with my head phones on, listening for a second first time and can afterwards put it on the shelf, clearly visible, as a reassuring reminder that it is always there in case it is needed.
As much as I am a child of the 21st century - and I think I am just realising how much I am, despite my disposition towards nostalgia - and as much as I depend on technology, there's still some basic distrust in the permanence of "data". And as much as the ephemeral nature of everything complies with the zeitgeist, and as reassuring the thought that nothing lasts for ever can be - I do sometimes crave permanence. Especially when it comes to things I really really like.

No comments: